Wednesday, December 3, 2014

A New Evil Arises

The development of Legends of Futuria is very much a work-in-progress. As I mentioned in an earlier post, sometimes a concept works in execution but other times an idea may simply refuse to translate into reality.

I've already given our hero Valorus a new direction (which I'll be revealing very soon) but after weeks of false-starts and abandoned attempts, I've taken the decision to do the same with the line's Big Bad, Lord Shadow.

My initial concept for Lord Shadow was, as his name might suggest, a character themed around darkness, a Sauron-meets-Darth Vader Technomancer cloaked in black and using cybernetics and magic to enslave the various peoples of Futuria.

Whilst I liked my concept (and as I've mentioned before, I'm painting in very broad strokes because I want to inspire that same feeling of 70s and 80s toys that were independent of any cartoon or comic series) when it came to physically realizing Lord Shadow I found myself unable to do so. After multiple abortive attempts (featuring shiny black helmets, black cloaks, shadow-black skin and even cybernetic limbs) it became apparent that I'd need to revise my villain's concept, starting with his name.

Put simply, ''Lord Shadow'' is too binding, too constricting. Sure, it sounds cool and menacing but it doesn't leave as much ambiguity as I wanted, enough space to ''fill in the blanks'' when creating your own play scenarios. It also pretty much dictates how he should look and any variation from that (which is required, unless you want a plain, all-black figure) feels wrong.

And so, thinking back to the toys of my childhood (which has always been a big influence on Legends of Futuria) and the kind of ''feel'' I wanted to evoke, I've settled upon a new name for our villain:

''King Mutron.''

With this name comes a new, more ''open'' back story (which you'll be able to check out in the Characters section very soon) and a less binding feel to his look, a look that pays homage to the toys that inspired him but also allows for more freedom to develop a new, unique look in the Legends of Futuria universe...

So without further ado, here's our first glimpse of the work-in-progress King Mutron...
Expect to see a full reveal soon...!

No comments:

Post a Comment